1937 - The Golden Gate Bridge opened in San Francisco. Franklin D. Roosevelt was President of the United States. The first issue of Look Magazine was published.
And in downtown San Diego, California, A. L. Jacobs and Sons Jewelers opened their doors for the first time.
Just six years before, in 1931, A.L. Jacobs moved his growing family from Detroit to San Diego, and found work managing a local jewelry store. By 1937, Mr. Jacobs decided to open his own store, at 1147 Fifth Avenue. In 1946, he moved the store to a bigger location just steps away, at 1165 Fifth Avenue. In 1960, the store moved to its third location at the corner of Seventh and C Streets, and in 1982, A.L. Jacobs and Sons Jewelers moved to its final downtown location at the corner of Seventh and B Streets.
Third generation family member Chris Jacobs joined the family business in 1975. He closed the last downtown location in 1996 and travelled nationally and internationally buying and selling estate jewelry over the next seven years.
Expanding his skills and knowledge, Chris earned the title of Graduate Gemologist (in residence from the Gemological Institute of America in 1977), is a Certified Senior Member of the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers and a Senior Accredited Gemologist with the Accredited Gemologists Association. He also has a Certified Gemological Laboratory (one of only two in San Diego) from the AGA.
Celebrating the store's 75th anniversary, Chris Jacobs continues the family's legacy of providing fine quality jewelry to fit all budgets.
A lot has changed since the doors first opened in 1937, but A.L. Jacobs and Sons commitment to quality and customer satisfaction has not. Chris invites you to visit him at his store in the heart of Point Loma Village.